Welcome to my journey

I design art quilts, table runners, table toppers, mug rugs, place mats, wall hangings, and quilts and sell them on Etsy. I sew from chosen patterns and well as create unique patterns for custom and commission work.

Monday, August 12, 2013

Modern Day Deconstruction Reconstruction

My husband was raised in a home in which everything was used, fixed, recycled, or upcycled until it could no longer be used. My taking a piece of cloth and cutting it into smaller pieces, then sewing the pieces together until they were once again the same size as the first piece of cloth makes little sense to him. Cloth was never purchased for making a quilt.  Quilts were made with pants, jeans, and shirts.

So what did I do today?  I took a fabric from my stash.  It has various Christmas/winter scenes of birds, plants, stars, and bells. This fabric was designed by Anita Phillips, called Random Thoughts and printed by Wilmington Prints.

 
I cut the individual pictures out and separated them into piles. 
 


I then raw edge appliqued the little pieces onto a 12" x 18" piece of cream fabric with pinecones. 

 
I added the 80 20 batting and a green plaid on cream backing fabric.  I then did a random square/rectangle meander with a variegated polyester thread and here is the result.
 
 
Each placemat is different.  I also had pieces that were not perfectly straight on the mat and thus added a folk art charm to it.

 
I made matching napkins that can be folded to show either the pinecones or the plaid.



Thus is my take on the practice of using something designed one way, deconstructing it, then reconstructing it to make something new.  All but the binding was from my stash. 

What can you deconstruct - reconstruct this week?  Feel free to post a picture.