Then I started working on a fabric with purple and pink orchids. Fun!
First, I started the negative space, the area between the flowers. I practiced doing miniature free motion designs with black piecing thread.
It made this fun spider web look on the back. Something I'm going to think about in a future design.
Then I began to paint the flowers. I wanted to take advantage of the shading that already existed in the fabric. I used thread that was similar in color but would help make the shading pop.
I also wanted to take advantage of the change in texture created by the threads through the batting (80/20 cotton polyester).
And here is the finished project.