Welcome to my journey

I design art quilts, table runners, table toppers, mug rugs, place mats, wall hangings, and quilts and sell them on Etsy. I sew from chosen patterns and well as create unique patterns for custom and commission work.

Friday, August 30, 2013

Thread Painting Flowers

I had so much fun doing the first mug rug that I decided to do two more.  What I really wanted were more opportunities to thread paint and I might as well make something useful at the same time.  So I'll show you a picture of the next one I made, but won't take you through the process.



Then I started working on a fabric with purple and pink orchids. Fun!

First, I started the negative space, the area between the flowers.  I practiced doing miniature free motion designs with black piecing thread.

 
It made this fun spider web look on the back.  Something I'm going to think about in a future design.
 
 
Then I began to paint the flowers.  I wanted to take advantage of the shading that already existed in the fabric. I used thread that was similar in color but would help make the shading pop. 
 
I also wanted to take advantage of the change in texture created by the threads through the batting  (80/20 cotton polyester). 

 
And here is the finished project.