Welcome to my journey

I design art quilts, table runners, table toppers, mug rugs, place mats, wall hangings, and quilts and sell them on Etsy. I sew from chosen patterns and well as create unique patterns for custom and commission work.

Friday, August 30, 2013

Continuing to Deconstruct then Reconstruct

A few nights ago I had a dream.  I dreamed of this fabric
 
 
But in this color
 
 
So what to do?  How do I make my dream come true and put them together to make one fabric?
 
This way?
 
 
 
No! It's totally boring and way too busy, especially with today's colors going towards solids.  And it isn't true to my dream which was to see one fabric flower in the other color.
 
So I did this

and then this.
 
 
 
After rewatching some of Nancy Prince's videos about thread painting, I dug out my BSR, put away the walking foot and started to doodle. My goal was to make a mug rug.
 
First the little circles in the center.  Then I began to draw into the zinnia with a variegated purple
thread.
 
 
 
I wanted the center zinnia of the fabric to stand out from the others so I switched to navy blue thread and outlined the rest of the zinnias on the cloth.  Then I took out a solid purple thread and filled in the rays on the flower petals.
 
But now what should I do to finish the piece?  I went to my stash of batiks and found a very pretty deep purple.  I used some as backing and the rest as a binding.  I decided that the size was perfect for a mug rug and all the stitching will keep the mug rug laying flat.
 
 
 I like it.  It may not be one of those amazing pieces of artwork that leaves you gasping for breath, but it's pretty in its simplicity.  It's my first foray into thread painting after a long hiatus.