Welcome to my journey

I design art quilts, table runners, table toppers, mug rugs, place mats, wall hangings, and quilts and sell them on Etsy. I sew from chosen patterns and well as create unique patterns for custom and commission work.

Monday, February 6, 2012

Modern Quilt Relish With a Traditional Flair

While I was waiting for my Bernina 440QE to come back from its cleaning, I started cutting out fabrics for future quilts.  I got this design from a company called Modern Quilt Relish. Modern Quilt Relish is a fellow blogger and one that I follow.  She has very contemporary designs and the photographs show this year's color blends.This particular pattern was put into a goody bag at Houston Quilt Market.  She talks about the pattern in one of her blog entries.




Her suggestion is to use fabrics of similar value, but allow for some contrast.  I decided to try it in colors that are similar to Civil War era fabrics.  While I like this quilt, I think my fabrics still contrast too much to replicate the values suggested in the pattern.

I am going to use squares and rectangles in the quilting of this pattern.  I'll post pictures of the design soon.

February 16, 2012

I took out the red and blue in the center and added some tans instead.  What do you think of my second try?  Is it too light?  I'm not sure the camera has given justice to the change. I like it much better in real life. When the sun filters through my window again, I take another picture.



Next I will quilt it using chocolate brown thread.