Welcome to my journey

I design art quilts, table runners, table toppers, mug rugs, place mats, wall hangings, and quilts and sell them on Etsy. I sew from chosen patterns and well as create unique patterns for custom and commission work.

Sunday, February 12, 2012

What Inspires You?

have been thinking about inspiration lately.  As you move around the quilting world, there are as many quilt types and techniques as there are grains of sand on the beach.  Quilters, like many artists, are always pushing the boundaries, inventing new twists on traditional techniques or coming up with new techniques that are absolutely genius.

I have always said that my mother is my inspiration. She made many beautiful quilts, most of which were done completely by hand.  She passed on in 2005, leaving 4 bureau drawers full of fabric.  I hadn't added a single stitch to a quilt before then.

At first, my quilts came from those drawers.  My teachers were television and quilt books.  I watched Alex Anderson on Simply Quilts and Nancy Zieman on Sewing with Nancy.

My first quilts were terrible. If someone had told me that, I would have stopped, but no one did and I began to grow.  Now I sell traditional and art quilts on Etsy.   I go to quilt shops, take classes and quilt and quilt and quilt.  I stared at quilts for 10 days straight at the 2011 Houston Quilt Market and Show this past year.  Each time I walked through the displays, a different quilt would speak to me somehow.  Now my bureau drawers and closet are a mix of fabrics spanning 30 years of colors and textures.

But my question now is: How is my own quilting personality emerging and growing?  What will people say is my style when it is time to leave quilting fabric to my children?

How do you work to discover your quilting personality?