Welcome to my journey

I design art quilts, table runners, table toppers, mug rugs, place mats, wall hangings, and quilts and sell them on Etsy. I sew from chosen patterns and well as create unique patterns for custom and commission work.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

2012 Jeans and Jewels Third Border


The strips were cut in 1 3/8 inch x 8 inch rectangles.  I placed tape on the 1 3/8 inch line so I wouldn't have to keep looking for it on my ruler.  It saved me a lot of time and headache while cutting.  I used painters tape, it comes off easily after use.


A cream strip and a colored strip were sewn together.  Then the strips were cut into 1 3/8 x 1 3/8 2- patch units.  This is where the painters tape was really helpful. I don't think I could have had the accuracy I needed without it.  Remember the smaller the unit, the more likely an inaccurate seam will be seen..


Chain piecing saves time and thread.


I then lined up all the finished squares until the colors and textured flowed evenly.  Taking a photo helped me find the sections that didn't blend evenly.


I then cut the setting and corner triangles and sewed the units together.  Next,  I have to add a floater to create a color line between this border and the previous border.  I'll talk about that in my next post.