Welcome to my journey

I design art quilts, table runners, table toppers, mug rugs, place mats, wall hangings, and quilts and sell them on Etsy. I sew from chosen patterns and well as create unique patterns for custom and commission work.

Monday, February 13, 2012

Next Border for Jeans and Jewels Quilt

I'll be making four-patch units for the next border in the Jeans and Jewels quilt.  Susan H. Garman, the designer of this Ruffled Roses pattern,  wants quilters to remember to measure precisely, cut exactly, stitch accurately, and press evenly.

The four patch units have setting triangles in the corners.  The units are set on point and the size of the squares 1 3/8 wide.  If not made precisely, the squares will not fit properly and it will be obvious in the quilt.

Cutting the Squares  The first step is to use  a sharp blade in your rotary cutter.  Otherwise, a few threads will be skipped in the cutting and the fabric will move under your ruler.

Last year I bought a rotary cutter sharpener at the 2010 Houston Market from The Grace Company.   I believe it has paid for itself by lengthening the life of my blade.  The Grace Company has two sharpeners for sale, but I have only tried one of them so cannot compare them to each other.




Run the blade back and forth about 20 times, turn the cutter around and repeat.